As part of the “First Look” in the run-up to CES 2021, Samsung presented new televisions under the name “Neo QLED”. The new QLED televisions use mini-LED backlighting to enable full array local dimming with subdivision into significantly more, smaller zones.
Samsung Electronics unveiled today its 2021 portfolio of Neo QLED, MICRO LED and Lifestyle TV displays during its first-ever virtual First Look event ahead of CES 2021. Miniled can be found in Samsung's new QLED televisions, which Samsung issues Neo QLED. There are two top models offering resolutions of 4K and 8K. Information about the formats, prices, and release dates is not yet known.
With miniled, very small LED lights are placed behind the pixels on the screen to illuminate the image. According to Samsung, these are lights that are 40 times smaller than conventional LEDs. An advantage of miniled is, in addition to higher contrast and higher brightness, that there is virtually no chance of burn-in, which can happen with OLED TVs over time
Samsung also showed some new features of the Neo QLED televisions. The most striking is a "Super Ultrawide GameView" that allows the picture of PC games to be widened to an aspect ratio of 32 by 9. Black bars will appear below and above the game screen.
Over the next few years, Samsung will embark on a journey of “Going Green” in aligning TV business operations through the following long-term sustainability programs:
- Reducing Carbon Footprint and Improving Energy Efficiency: Samsung will seek to systematically decrease its overall carbon footprint in TV manufacturing. The company will also seek to lower user power consumption and use more recycled materials across its entire TV line.
- Sustainable Packaging Design: Building on valuable consumer feedback, Samsung is expanding its award-winning ‘Eco-packaging’ design to all 2021 Lifestyle TVs and most of the 2021 Neo QLED line. This sustainable solution can upcycle up to 200,000 tons of corrugated boxes each year.1 By minimizing text and graphic imagery on the Eco-packaging, the oil-based ink from color printing that’s traditionally used on TV boxes is eliminated, helping to further reduce waste.
- Solar Cell Remote Control: In 2021, Samsung TVs will come with a solar-powered remote control that can be recharged by indoor light, outdoor light or USB—a first-of-its-kind innovation for the brand. This will help prevent waste from a projected 99 million AAA batteries over seven years.2 To construct the remote, Samsung innovated manufacturing process that upcycles plastics from recyclable bottles –including 24% recycled content.3
Samsung’s 2021 accessibility features – now available on all 2021 QLED and Neo QLED models – bring the latest advances in technology and Artificial Intelligence(AI) to help more people comfortably enjoy their TV experience. The 2021 line adds new features such as Caption Moving, Sign Language Zoom and Multi-Output Audio, giving those with the hard of hearing, the deaf, people with low vision, and the blind the ability to optimize their viewing to their needs and preferences. By 2022, Samsung is committing to expand its Voice Guide feature—which provides audio guidance for people with the deaf and people with low vision. And Samsung will continue to develop new AI based features to enhance the accessibility of Samsung TVs in the years to come.
Neo QLED Takes a Quantum Leap in TV Display Technology
Samsung is introducing a whole new display technology, Neo QLED, to its flagship 8K (QN900A) and 4K (QN90A) models. Samsung is taking QLED to the next level enabled by new light source, Quantum Mini LED precisely controlled by Quantum Matrix Technology and Neo Quantum Processor, a powerful picture processor optimized for Neo QLED.
Samsung designed the Quantum Mini LED to be 1/40 the height of a conventional LED. Instead of using a lens to disperse light, and a package to fix the LED in place, the Quantum Mini LED has incredibly thin micro layers filled with many more LEDs. Quantum Matrix Technology enables ultra-fine and precise control of the densely packed LEDs, preventing blooming—and allowing viewers to enjoy content as its meant to be seen. Neo QLED increases the luminance scale to 12-bit with 4096 steps; this helps make dark areas darker and bright areas brighter, resulting in a more precise and immersive HDR experience. And Neo QLED benefits from Samsung’s proprietary, powerful Neo Quantum Processor with enhanced upscaling capabilities. By using up to 16 different neural network models, each trained in AI upscaling and deep learning technology, the Neo Quantum Processor can optimize picture quality to 4K and 8K picture output regardless of the input quality.
Samsung’s 2021 Neo QLED 8K features a new Infinity One Design—a nearly bezel-less screen providing an even more immersive viewing experience in a sleek design and form factor. And Neo QLED 8K’s attachable Slim One Connect box—an all-new cable management system that can be attached to the TV’s back—allows for an easier install and cleaner aesthetic. The 2021 Neo QLED 8K also packs in several premium, room-filling audio features; Object Tracking Sound (OTS) Pro’s dynamic sound corresponds to the movement of objects on screen, and SpaceFit Sound analyzes the installed TV’s physical environment and outputs immersive sound tailored specifically to your space.
Samsung’s 2021 Neo QLED 8K and 4K models offer smart features that expand the role of the TV and help consumers meet their changing needs when it comes to fitness, entertainment and the home office.
- Samsung Health seamlessly transforms the home into a personal gym, and the new Smart Trainer feature tracks and analyzes posture in real time, just like a personal trainer. During and post-workout, Smart Trainer provides feedback on form, helps you count your reps, and estimates calories burned. With video and interactive training via Bixby-enabled voice control, Samsung Health Smart Trainer elevates and personalizes the home workout experience.
- With two new exclusive features, Samsung is delivering the ultimate TV gaming experience. Super Ultrawide GameView gives gamers the option to play not only at the wide 21:9 aspect ratio, but even at the ultrawide 32:9 ratio. The wider field of view ensures gamers don’t miss a moment of the action. And Game Bar lets players quickly monitor and adjust critical aspects of play—whether that’s switching aspect ratios, checking input lag, or connecting a headset. Finally, FreeSync Premium Pro minimizes stuttering so players enjoy smooth picture quality throughout gameplay.
- With Google Duo, consumers can use their phone to initiate a high-quality, high-speed video call that up to 32 people can join—no matter which operating system they’re using. With Google Duo app, you can make video calls directly through an optional USB-connected And with smart camera solution, the camera can follow your movements. It will automatically zoom in and out so you’re just the right size, always in focus.
- PC on TV on Samsung devices allows consumers to connect a PC to the TV, enabling working and learning from home through the TV screen with a connected mouse, keyboard, and PC. Consumers can also directly access MS Office 365 through the TV’s web browser to create and edit documents. Simply install an Easy Connection app on your computer and log into your Samsung Account—and your TV will automatically connect to your PC, making working from the living room seamless.
Opening a New Era of Breathtaking Picture Quality and Design With MICRO LED
In 2021, the promise of Micro LED comes home. With the new MICRO LED line, Samsung has made Micro LED available in a traditional TV form factor for the first time—bringing consumers a breathtaking visual experience on an ultra-large next-generation screen.
Available in 110’’, 99’’, and smaller sizes by the end of the year, the new MICRO LED line uses micrometer-sized LED lights to eliminate the backlight and color filters utilized in conventional displays. It is self-illuminating, producing stunningly lifelike colors and brightness through its 24 million individually controlled LEDs. And with a Monolith Design defined by over 99% screen-to-body ratio, all you will see is the breathtaking picture quality.
Samsung has innovated its Smart TV features to take advantage of the new MICRO LED line’s massive screen. For example, consumers can use the 4Vue(Quad View) feature to comfortably watch up to four different content sources simultaneously on one screen. Viewers can connect multiple external devices to keep up with multiple playoff games at once, or stream a walkthrough while playing a video game—all in stunning quality and size.
Finally, the new MICRO LED’s dynamic audio experience is just as immersive as its visuals. With Majestic Sound, it delivers breathtaking 5.1 channel sound with no external speaker—transforming any room into a luxurious home theater.
Enhancing the Award-Winning Lifestyle TV Portfolio
Samsung is also making enhancements to its 2021 Lifestyle TV line with new design and form factors to reflect the changing interests and tastes of consumers. Since launching in 2017, The Frame has redefined the television, transforming displays into stunning works of art, with over one million units sold.
The 2021 version builds on The Frame’s innovative legacy, offering a more customizable experience in a slimmer form. The Frame is about half thinner4 compared to previous iterations, mirroring the depth of a traditional picture frame. New attachable bezel options come in five color options and two different customizable styles—Modern and Beveled—to match the aesthetic of whatever room The Frame is in.
With a subscription to The Frame’s all-new Art Store, consumers will be able to enjoy 1,400+ carefully curated pieces. Samsung’s new AI-based auto-curation technology better analyzes individual consumer preferences to recommend artwork.
With near-endless options for customization, Samsung’s lifestyle TV portfolio including The Frame, The Serif, The Sero, The Terrace and The Premiere immediately upgrade the décor of any home.