Sony announced at the Paris Games Week the future of PlayStation 4 (PS4), with a huge range of exclusive software announcements from both first and third party studios, as well as new content announced for PlayStation VR. A number of new exclusive games for PS4 were revealed for the very first time, including the latest title from Quantic Dream, Detroit, as well as a new racing simulator from Polyphony Digital, GT SPORT. A beta test for GT SPORT was also announced for early 2016.
New footage from other exclusive titles was also shown during the conference, including the multiplayer premiere of Uncharted 4: A Thief?s End (SCE Worldwide Studios), as well as a look at the gameplay vision for Michel Ancel?s WiLD (WiLD Sheep Studios). In addition, exclusive content was revealed for the latest installment in one of PlayStation?s most revered franchises, Tekken 7 (Bandai Namco Entertainment), with a launch date provided for Street Fighter V (Capcom). Finally SCEE debuted new downloadable content for PS4 exclusive, Bloodborne (SCE WWS) and, DRIVECLUB BIKES (SCE WWS), which will be available either as a standalone or as an expansion pack.
PlayStation?s enthusiasm for the best games is also shared by the publishers of this holiday?s biggest blockbusters, with downloadable content for Call of Duty: Black Ops 3 (Activision Publishing, Inc., a wholly owned subsidiary of Activision Blizzard, Inc.) available exclusively for 30 days only on PS4, as well as a partnership with Electronic Arts to release a limited edition Star Wars Battlefront PS4 bundle this November.
Away from PS4 software, SCEE also offered the latest glimpse of PlayStationVR. New software for the system was shown, including a global announcement of Until Dawn: Rush of Blood from Supermassive Games as well as never before seen footage of Guerrilla Cambridge?s VR shooter, RIGS and a brand new title from Crytek, ROBINSON: THE JOURNEY partnering the famous CRYENGINE and the PlayStation VR system?s technology. SCEE demonstrated that VR offers a wide variety of completely new experiences above and beyond gaming, by showing a special trailer for the film that?s getting cinema-goers talking: The Walk (Sony Pictures Entertainment).
With a focus on games, SCEE?s PlayStation Media Preview showcased 22 games which are all either exclusive to PlayStation or feature exclusive content. Some highlights include:
- Uncharted 4: A Thief?s End (Naughty Dog) - Exclusive to PS4
- GT SPORT (Polyphony) - Exclusive to PS4
- Horizon: Zero Dawn (Guerrilla Games) - Exclusive to PS4
- Dreams (Media Molecule) - Exclusive to PS4
Jim Ryan, President and CEO of SCEE, reaffirmed the partnership between SCE and third parties including Electronic Arts and Activision Publishing, bringing exclusive content to PS4 Players for the holiday?s biggest titles:
- A new video for Call of Duty: Black Ops 3 was shown to highlight the agreement between Activision Publishing and PlayStation to bring new DLC to Players 30 days before it?s availability anywhere else
- The limited edition Star Wars Battlefront PS4 bundle was shown alongside a new video for the game.
Looking beyond this year Jim Ryan then introduced a range of software titles that will arrive on PS4 with content exclusive to PlayStation:
- Katshuhiro Harada took to the stage to announce the latest installment in one of PlayStation?s most famous franchises, Tekken (Bandai Namco Entertainment). To celebrate 20 years of Tekken on PlayStation, Tekken 7 will launch on PS4 with exclusive content.
- Yoshinori Ono, producer at Capcom, appeared on stage to announce the worldwide launch of PS4 exclusive, Street Fighter V, available on Tuesday 16th of February 2016. Included in the announcement was the reveal of Dhalsim as a character within the new game and six new characters arriving at regular intervals throughout 2016 - all unlockable and free using in-game currency "Fight Money".
- Boundless from Turbulance
- Battleborn from Gearbox
- Avicii announcement by Hello There
- No Man?s Sky from Hello Games
PlayStation followed this by bringing on-stage Senior Vice-President of Worldwide Studios, Michael Denny, to debut a range of first party titles that will be available "only on PlayStation" within 2016 and beyond.
- Finnish studio Housemarque debuted a completely new and exclusive title for PS4, Matterfall
- A new trailer for Insomniac Games? Ratchet and Clank was shown to viewers ahead of its release in spring 2016
- Hermen Hulst, managing director of Guerrilla Games, took to the stage to show a live gameplay of Horizon Zero Dawn, offering players a glimpse of how the game will play when it launches exclusively on PS4 next year, including its deep questing, crafting and combat systems
- A video for the upcoming Bloodborne The Old Hunters expansion pack was shown on screen, available 24th November 2015 exclusively on PS4
- DRIVECLUB BIKES, available either as a standalone or as an expansion pack for hit PS4 exclusive, DRIVECLUB, was shown, including a new campaign tour, multiplayer events, challenges and the thrill of bikes for the very first time, the latter also available as part of a standalone update, offering the insane speed of two wheels to all DRIVECLUB BIKES Players
- Keiichiro Toyama, Creative Director from SCE JAPAN Studio, took to the stage to introduce a gameplay video of the newly announced Gravity Rush 2, coming exclusively to PS4
Christophe Balestra, co-president at Naughty Dog, gave fans and media the first ever look at the multiplayer for Uncharted 4: A Thief?s End, showing what Players can look forward to when the beta will be available on PlayStation Network from 4th December to 13th December this year. Uncharted 4: A Thief?s End will hit PS4 on 18th March 2016.
To round out the section, Alex Evans, director of Media Molecule brought other members of his team onto the stage to show the first gameplay reveal and design vision for the studio?s new IP, Dreams, offering a weird and wonderful twist on their trademark blend of play, create and share
Playable on the Paris Games Week show floor, Shuhei Yoshida, President of SCE Worldwide Studios, gave viewers a new glimpse of PlayStation VR during the conference, highlighting the many studios developing for the system as well as how well received it is from both consumers and developers.
Guerrilla Games Cambridge debuted a new video for multiplayer shooter, RIGS
Shuhei Yoshida followed this up with the announcement that first party title would be coming to PlayStation VR in the form of Until Dawn: Rush of Blood
Founder of Crytek, Cevat Yerli, arrived on-stage to announce multiple new experiences built from the ground up for PlayStation VR, in ROBINSON: THE JOURNEY
Demonstrating the potential for VR experiences outside of gaming, Shuhei Yoshida, introduced a video for The Walk (SPE), the latest film
Closing the conference, Jim Ryan returned to showcase three final titles that represent a bright future for exclusive software on PlayStation.
Professional racing driver and President of Polyphony Digital, Kazunori Yamauchi, took to the stage to debut the latest title in the Gran Turismo franchise, GT SPORT - "the most authentic and visually stunning racing simulator ever made." A beta test for the title was also announced for early 2016.
Michel Ancel, studio head at Wild Sheep Studios, presented the gameplay vision for open-world exploration game WiLD, including an all new gameplay sequence
Concluding the conference, David Cage, studio head at Quantic Dreams, surprised audiences by announcing the studio?s next title, Detroit, built featuring the android Kara, shown first in a technological demonstration produced by Quantic Dreams back in 2012, asking powerful questions about what it means to be alive and what it means to be human